Get help filing your income taxes

Many are preparing to file their income taxes. We must do it before April 15. Why is it important that you pay income taxes even if you are undocumented?

  1.  It helps document your presence in the U.S. and demonstrate your support for the U.S.
  2. It’s a way to show good faith in respecting laws and contributing which is required for future legalization.

Danger of abuse

Many people and agencies take advantage of uninformed persons filing their taxes. Some charge exorbitant amounts for their services and don’t even do them well. Thus it is important to be informed and seek services from honest agents.

Free service for low income people

Persons with annual incomes of less than $25,000 and families with less than $50,000 per year qualify for free assistance with filing their taxes. The Center for Economic Progress offers the services in different locations; the one closest to St. Pius V is at El Instituto de Progreso Latino, 2570 S. Blue Island. To learn about other sites call 312-252-0280 or visit the website of the Center for Economic Progress. If your income is low, you may qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit.

For individuals & families with higher income

A St. Pius V parishioner offers assistance for less than $70 if the taxes are not complicated. He will donate a portion of your fee to St. Pius V. Call Julio Fajardo for an appointment at 773-940-0217 or 773-615-5820 or visit his office at 2002 W. Cermak Rd. and tell him you are from St. Pius V. No one should be paying hundreds of dollars for service.

What you should not do!

  • Lie on your returns.
  • Lend your children’s names for another person to put on their tax filing. This is a serious federal fraud.
  • Include income or expenses which you cannot document with receipts.
  • Claim minor dependents who live in Mexico, unless you can document you support them 50%.
  • Use name or social security of another person, which could be a crime of identity theft.
  • Permit an agent to add income or expenses that you cannot document legally.
  • Believe an agent who offers to give you your tax reimbursement sooner than the government.

You can claim your children up to 24 years old if they are studying full time. You can claim minors in Mexico, like grandchildren, nieces, cousins, if you can prove you maintain them 50%.